In a worrisome, troubled world, people took comfort when President Hinckley said, in his fatherly, assuring way, "It isn't as bad as you sometimes think it is. It all works out."

Monday, September 1, 2008

RUB-A-DUB-DUB

Rub-A-Dub-Dub
Three Socks in the tub
A blue, a black and a brown
There's never a match
At the end of a load
It makes me want to frown

Everyone knows that there is never an even number of socks in a load of laundry. So what do you do with the orphan socks? Do you make sock puppets? You can only use so many sock creatures. Do you stuff them with cat nip for kitty toys? Do you use them to dust furniture? Not in my house! Dust bunnies are almost sacred here. We wouldn't think of wiping them out with an old sock. Are there foster homes for unmatched socks?

And why is it never possible to have ALL the clothes, towels, and sheets clean at one time? I mean if you do five loads of laundry on Saturday, why is it that by Saturday night the laundry hamper is overflowing again? Just once, for a little while, it would be oh so nice to see all the laundry done and the hamper empty. Is there some law of physics that I never learned that declares the laundry hamper must never stay empty more than five minutes? It seems like the only way for this to happen would be to have every member of the family strip naked, stand in the tub, and stay there while everything is washed. Not a pretty sight I'm sure. Then I could bask in the glory of a pile of neatly folded, clean laundry and an empty clothes hamper. One can only dream of course.

Also why in the world when I put the last load in the dryer on Saturday night does my husband come up with a white shirt with "ring-a-round-the-collar" that he has to have for church on Sunday morning?

I know, I know, at least I don't have to scrub the clothes on a rock in a river to get them clean.

1 comment:

Fru-la-la! said...

In my house, orphan socks became "babies" to the kitty girls. They lay on them, love them, babysit them. :)